Exterior home renovations can be overwhelming for homeowners. The television shows make the process look quick and painless, but the path of reality does not always follow TV. Complications in planning or choosing the wrong contractor can cause your exterior to look sub-par, and costs to skyrocket.
The good news is it doesn’t have to be overly-complicated. By following a few easy steps, you can simplify the exterior home renovations process and make sure that the result is quality work and an exterior that you and your family can continue to enjoy for years to come.
Table of Contents
3 Easy Steps to a Successful Exterior Home Remodeling Project
Ask Yourself: What’s Your Motivation?
It all starts here, by asking yourself the purpose for your change. There are several reasons to start a project. Some might include:
- To update the look of your home.
- Getting ready to put the home on the market.
- Making your home more environmentally friendly or energy efficient.
- A change in the family’s needs.
- Maintenance or repair.
Once you understand your motivation, and why you’re looking to renovate, the decisions that need to be made from this point will become easier.
Planning: What Do You Want Out of This Project?
Planning can give you accurate expectations of the project. It can help you to find a realistic view of what to expect from this process, and set an accurate budget. By having these two things in place, you’ll eliminate two significant stumbling blocks in any exterior home renovations project.
It’s important to have a realistic view on what you must have, and what you’d like to have out of the renovation. This can help you align your expectations with your budget.
Select the Right Contractor for Your Project
When it comes to selecting the right contractor for your project, it’s important to take your time and make sure you find someone you’ll be comfortable with. You’ll be spending a lot of time with them, and they will be doing important work. Here are a few things to look for as you select the right contractor for your exterior home renovations:
- Look for a contractor who’s handled similar types of jobs, with happy customers.
- Be cautious with the cheapest price that you find. It may be a sign that they haven’t done this type of work, and they’re not 100-percent sure what is involved.
- You can check out past references, and find out what previous customers think of their work.
- Make sure that that any roofing and siding contractor is properly licensed and insured.
- Get a contract in writing and inspect it line-by-line.
- Find out what and how much of the project is covered by warranty.
All of these things should play a significant part in your decision on a contractor.
FTC Oury is Experienced in Exterior Home Renovations
When it comes to an exterior home renovation, you need someone you can trust. FTC Oury has completed hundreds of siding, roofing, and gutter projects in the western suburbs of Chicago. We can help you with planning, and determining what you want from your project.
To get started on your next project, contact us today!