The exterior of your home is a preview of what’s inside. It stokes curiosity and sets the tone for what your guests will experience. When you do simple things to boost curb appeal, you are making your home nicer and increasing its value.
It can help you take pride in home ownership and make the most of your investment.
10 Home Improvements to Boost Curb Appeal
- Freshen Up the Front Entry Way – An elegant front entry way is critical for the curb appeal of your home. If yours is looking rather drab, you can always paint the door, re-evaluate the look of the soffits, or add some potted plants and other decorations on the porch or along the stairs.Don’t stop there. There is plenty you can do to create an eye-catching front entryway.
- Replace Siding – You can give your home a powerful modern makeover by updating the siding. It will transform the appearance and provide a whole-new aura. Vinyl is a popular choice, but don’t be afraid to explore your fiber cement or cedar siding options, either.
- Creative Use of Lighting – Sometimes all it takes to boost curb appeal is some creative landscaping lighting. This may be fixtures along the exterior of the house, walkways, or in the flower beds. They may stand alone or be worked into the landscaping or architectural design.
- Get Bold with Your Accent Color – If you’re looking to modernize the look of your home, it may be time to choose some eye-popping accent colors. Try painting your front door or trim work in a way that makes them pop with flare.
- Add Fencing – A small picket fence around the perimeter of the front yard could add a new look to your home. It may also serve practical purposes if you live along a busy road, or if you need a place for your dog to run free. This can add a powerful visual element that also boosts curb appeal.
- A New Roof – People don’t always consider the roof as part of the visual element to a house, but it is. A new roof provides an elegant, timeless look, while boosting curb appeal. Asphalt is the most common choice, but there are other options for materials and styles that might freshen up your exterior.
- Re-evaluate Trim – The trim work along the front of the home, and around windows and doors can provide an elegant pop that makes your home stand out. If it’s falling apart, it may be time for the boards to be replaced. If you’re looking for some added color without addressing all of the siding, this is the place to start.
- Touch Up the Landscaping – The landscaping is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to boost curb appeal. The plants and flowers that you select to grow in your yard add a tremendous amount of color. There are numerous possibilities to using landscaping to improve the look of your home’s exterior.For example, you could plant new flower beds. You could also select a variety of flowers, with some that bloom in the spring, summer, and fall. That way you have color for three seasons out of the year. You could also make sure that you are selecting the most colorful flowers that grow well in the Midwest.
- Windows – Windows can get pricy and are an easy design element to overlook. But when you repair old windows, it can do a lot to improve the look of your home. It may be time to replace the dated panes that have cracks. You may also want to consider adding shutters for extra color.
- Gutters – Gutters are another small architectural design detail that can produce big changes to the look of your house. If you’re looking to replace gutters, there are a variety of styles and materials to choose from that can freshen up the look of your home.
Investing In Your Home and Happiness
The fall is the perfect time to reevaluate the look of your home’s exterior. When it comes to trying to boost curb appeal, you have options. There are smaller, quick projects that will provide an update to the style, such as landscaping or painting the door. There are also updates such as replacing the siding, which will give you something that looks like a newer, more modern home.
If you’re exploring siding, roof, or gutter options, contact us today!